OTN is partnering with local congregations to provide bimonthly shelters on the second and fourth Fridays of every month. Resource Shelters allow for a consistent place to connect our un-housed friends with needed services and resources like birth certificates, housing applications, foot clinics, first aid, and haircuts. Guests also receive good food, hot showers, fresh clothes, and a safe space to relax and connect with volunteers. Volunteers help set up beds, provide and serve dinner, cut hair, offer foot care, provide for basic medical needs, stay as innkeepers, and help with clean up.
We are currently partnering with Barth Vernon United Methodist Church and Hillcrest United Methodist Church to provide welcoming spaces for our Resource Shelters. Here is a sample schedule and volunteer needs for our evening shelters.
These vary slightly from site to site:
- Set Up Team (help set up beds, tables, etc.; 5:15pm-6:30pm)
- Welcome Table Host (greet and sign in our shelter guests; 5:30pm-7pm)
- Haircuts and Foot Clinics (6pm-8:30pm)
- Floater Volunteers/Active Listeners (serve as a listening/conversation partner for some of our friends at the shelter, help with last minute volunteer needs; anytime between 5:30pm and 8:30pm)
- Dinner/Breakfast (provide meal for about 20 people; Dinner 5pm-8pm; Breakfast drop off anytime after 5pm)
- Innkeepers (stay the night at the shelter with another volunteer; 8pm-8am)
- Laundry (do laundry after the shelter before the next shelter; pickup after 8am next morning)
To volunteer for a resource shelter, visit our calendar here.